If you cannot determine the cause of your hearing loss, see a doctor.
- Other symptoms that require a trip to the doctor include the following:
- You have associated symptoms such as ringing in the ears or vertigo.
- You have a fever or pain.
- You are taking any medications that affect hearing.
- Your hearing loss is sudden and prolonged.
- Do not delay getting medical attention if your hearing loss is associated with any of the following:
- Recent or present foreign body in the ear
- Fluid or blood coming from the ear
- Recent pressure changes (diving)
- Fever not controlled with acetaminophen (Tylenol)
- Severe trauma to the head
Excerpt from Hearing Loss, emedicinehealth.com